3.15.2010

FDT Tips: Introducing a Side Pull Bitless Bridle Part 2

As a big believer is setting yourself up for success and not failure, I like to take clear small steps with my horses before moving on to bigger more challenging things. This starts with ground working in my Side Pull to help the horse get accustomed to where and what the communication will feel like. At this point I will be able to evaluate how my horse responds, good or bad, from the relative safety of the ground. Then possibly work with them until we both feel confident. If it works well, and I decide to mount up and try it, I do so in a round pen or arena enclosure.
I always practice the same things I do in any other equipment to make sure my horse and I are in sync. Then if I feel good about that, I will go out in fields or trails depending on the individual horse and our readiness.
I alway ask myself, honestly how confident I feel about going to the next step. Whatever that step may be. And of course never to be in a hurry to get there.
In Part 2 of the Transitioning to a Side Pull video, I attach reins and continue to do some more ground exercises to get my horse and I communicating well before I ride in my Side Pull.

To purchase a Side Pull Bitless bridle go to My Bridle Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment