3.29.2012

New FDH Vlog! Starting the young horse



Here is the first in a new Vlog series about how I start a young horse. It shows Liberty exercises inspired by Carolyn Resnick to build our Connection first before I start developing the Communication we will need for technical training. The focus from beginning to end will be on Connection, Communication and Calm leadership. I will use my Liberty, Line/In Hand, to Mounted progression. I will also be introducing my new FDH Classroom for those interested in following along on this young Friesian's journey. Details coming soon!
http://www.fdhorsemanship.com/

3 comments:

  1. I know it is different for every horse, but for the average horse how long will you spend Sharing Space and saying "Hello" at the beginning? What are good indicators that it is time to move on? (What would you work on next?) I can't wait for the next video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah all the exercises are meant to be done indefinitely especially if this is your forever horse. So for example, I have several horses I've worked with for years, and we are still doing these exercises before technical work. It continues to grow the bond and connection indefinitely. They also aren't meant to be done in any specific order neccesarily but the rule to follow is you wait until your horse initiates contact to start letting them shape your Leadership and the exercises. If you wait a little between each request, the horse will show you what to do next by his actions.Also there are no mistakes so play and experiment safely! :)

      Delete
    2. Sarah you can sign up to follow this Vlog here http://www.fdhorsemanship.com/#!classroom
      I didn't know if you knew that. :)

      Delete